Saturday, October 02, 2004

You will be assimilated. Resistence is futile.

Fans of the Star Trek franchise know of the Borg, the arch-enemy of Captains Picard and Janeway in their respective shows. The "Collective" of assimilated drones was forever hearing the voices of all the other drones as they went about their business like honeybees in a hive. All were linked together and constantly aware of each other through the actions of their implants and nanoprobes. When a drone was separated and the buzz of a billion voices in the background was silenced, it was nearly incapacitated and unable to complete its mission.

I wonder if, with this ability to blog and publish websites and email and IM (not to mention blab on the cell phone, text-message, go walkie-talkie), we've not joined the collective ourselves. I suppose its necessary and maybe even helpful for getting things done, but even though I've been at least partly assimilated, I'm still going to resist -- no matter how futile that may be. I like a little solitude without that constant buzz in my head and I don't want to get so connected I can't unplug.







<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]