Monday, December 27, 2004

Remembering the Minister of Defense and Other Matters

Well, we received roughly ten inches of snow overnight, and The Senescent Man was out shoveling this morning, mainly to extricate the autos and to get at least one of the Senescent progeny off to work. But it was good therapy, though risky business for an aging old coot like me. I did receive some help from the Senescent wife and son, but there is something about the clean, fresh sparkle of snow, and the amount of time you spend with it, that is therapeutic, illuminating and refreshing, and drives one back to the plow.

Despite the snow, it was not so bad a morning, I might add, as awakening to the aftermath of a tsunami caused by an earthquake registering 9.4 on the Richter scale -- one of the top 5 of the last 100 years -- which resulted in over 22,000 deaths, over half of which, from Sri Lanka. A horrible tragedy, which could have been partially averted by an early warning system measuring changes in tide. No doubt something that will be considered after the full measure of this tragedy is weighed. Relief agencies are on the move, including
World Vision, who is known for its efficiency in reaching such areas. HT: Hugh Hewitt.

Other sad news came last evening about the untimely death of Reggie White, the Minister of Defense, at the very young age of 43. White was instrumental in Superbowl XXXI in January 1997, when he received a record number of sacks against my beloved New England Patriots.

But Reggie will be remembered mostly for his piety and his service to a risen Lord. The following is a remembrance by
Joe Theismann:


I knew Reggie White for many years during and after his playing career and I was fortunate to know and spend time with such an amazing human being. The last time I spent time with him was last year during a trip to Indianapolis and I only wish I'd spent more time with him because he was one of the dearest souls to ever put on a uniform. He was committed and outspoken in his beliefs, feared nothing and his commitment to God was No. 1 in his life.

I'll never forget his last season in Green Bay when I was broadcasting a game for Sunday Night Football. He'd torn his hamstring and I remember in the meeting I actually put my fingers in his leg where the hamstring was supposed to be. I expressed shock that he'd be able to play and he told me he put his faith in God that it'd be alright. He went out and had a great game and it was one of the greatest sights I've ever seen. His play that day convinced me of divine intervention. That was typical of the type of faith that Reggie White had. He knew God would take care of the situation.

On the football field, White was a rare combination of size, power and speed. He was one of those guys who stepped up and made special plays when his team needed him to come through. Like all great players he had a great sense of knowing when to seize the moment. That sense of the moment and greatness extended off the field as witnessed by those in his church's congregation. In 1999 White came to the rescue when an arsonist burned down his church. He knew his congregation needed him and he came through leading the fund raising drive to get the church rebuilt. That's his legacy.

It's a tragedy to lose someone so valuable to society at such a young age. I won't remember the passing of Reggie White, but I will remember his contributions and I'll celebrate his life because I had a chance to know the man.
No doubt, God needed a sturdy pair of swift hands. He will be sorely missed.

But, an issue that continues to apply its weight, subtly, behind the scenes, is the role of AP photographers in Iraq and other areas of the world hostile to the US. I think the story, originally flagged by wrethard of The Belmont Club, of AP photographers working on the inside with the enemy is about to blow up as a major news item once the MSM decides to shine its klieg lights on itself, but if they don't, the blogs will continue to shine the light on them.

An AP Director of Photography has been attempting a
defense of the behavior of these so-called imbedded AP photographers, but I think they made (and are making) a big mistake in the way they are covering the war.

It is a topic we will monitor.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]