Saturday, March 19, 2005

They Don't Know Me

The first words uttered by Michael Schiavo upon learning that the United States Congress was coming to the rescue of his poor, defenseless wife was, "they don't know me, and they don't know Terri."

"The don't know me." What does this tell us? It tells us that it is all about him. He looks at this situation as from his own perspective. I grant you that in the early days, he did care for his invalid wife. It must have been an awesome struggle. But he's moved on, and his wife is still in need of care, and to eradicate the past, he is hell bent on eradicating her, even though there are her parents and others who are putting their money where their mouths are, to save Terri Schiavo.

What's with this anyway?

It is the age old story of man struggling with his fate, finally to do so from the perspective of self.

Do you remember the ER episode of the middle aged woman who suffers a stroke, and thinks and talks to herself just as if she we were completely healthy? This riveting episode keeps running through my mind.

What if Terri Schiavo is perfectly cognizant of her surroundings, and frustratingly cannot tell us that she wants to be saved, but the state courts grind on as if she had a terminal disease, and her fate is sealed without herculean intervention.

If you saw the ER episode I'm referring to, you'll remember the scene near the end where her husband is making a decision for her, it's a wrong decision, and we can hear her speaking to herself in her head, saying, "no, no that's not what I wanted, that's not what we agreed to."

That's what I keep hearing in my head when Michael Schiavo or his insipid lawyer speaks.

The MSM talking heads are claiming that Congress, and particularly the embattled Tom DeLay are just playing politics here. To many of them it may be merely "political." To many of us, however, it is an act of rescuing the weak and lowly. I don't care what you call it, really; call it politics, call it what you will, but if it saves that poor girls life, you can call it poppycock for all I care.

Why did Jesus bother to say "what you do to the least of these you do unto me?" Why did he have to make such a profound and contemplative remark? Because he knew and knows the hearts of men. And he knew and knows we're apt to put our own agendas ahead of the weak and lowly.

"They don't know me." Indeed, I'm afraid we do. We may have never met, but we know you very well. Too well, in fact.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]