Thursday, April 20, 2006
A Plea for Stupidity at the Voting Booth: Chafee's Wife Makes an Appeal for Democratic Votes in September
Let's examine the ramifications:
We have a "maverick" Republican US Senator who appears to need and want Democrats to vote in the Republican Primary so he can have the privilege of running against a Democrat.
This plan tends to backfire in a number of ways:
- His actions will have a tendancy to disenfranchise members of his own Party in their Party Primary. Not a friendly gesture to fellow Republicans.
- He polutes the Primary voting pool.
- He provides Democrats with two bites at the apple
- Democrats could set him up to win so he could lose against their candidate in November
- Democrats could vote in the Republican Primary instead for his opponent, Cranston Mayor Steve Laffey, thinking that he'd be the weaker candidate against Whitehouse or Brown, thus working against him.
- Republicans, learning this, will react to salvage their Party from a Democrat intrusion by ousting Chafee.
The ramifications go on and on.
My thinking is this will give Laffey a good deal to work with among Republican Party stalwarts.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]