Monday, May 01, 2006

Pave Paradise

I make it a point to keep local politics to a minimum. In my cantankerous old age, I've become more of a 30,000 foot kind of observer, and prefer the very interesting dynamics of the national arena, and, of course, related matters such as the US Senate race in RI, which we will continue to watch. But my blood is beginning to boil over an issue right here in River City, that is Cranston, RI.

The Park Cinema in the center of town has been under construction for what seems like an eternity. As the neighbors of this old relic wait patiently for the transformation and regeneration of this old landmark that never seems to come, it justs seems to hang there in suspended animation and in complete and utter disarray.

It's like watching paint dry, only in a junk yard.

It's time to put an end to its misery.

I say knock it down and turn it into a municipal parking lot - or a perhaps a park. After all, it is adjacent to the one on Rolfe Square. A grassy plat would make a nice pair to its neighbor. Asphalt would be fine by me too.

Yes, it would be nice to have a fine restaurant there. Yes, it would be grand to have some type of artsy activty within the walls of that old auditorium. But I am convinced it is not to be. The painstakingly slow activity there, I'm coming to believe, is merely a test of the local residents. How long can they stay in suspense?

I've had enough. The City Council has been at least overly generous, and at most gulible to the owner's plans, which he brings before them on a routine basis deceiving them into believng he intends to make more progress -- some day.

Pull the plug, I say. Flatten it. It's time.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]