Saturday, May 05, 2007

The First Republican Debate

I wasn't able to see the Republican debate this week, but I was able to pick up bits in pieces on radio, TV news, and a bit in the WSJ.  I have to say that although a lot of pundits are yawning, I found two candidates rather compelling: John McCain and Rudy Giuliani.

Now I have been a pro-lifer since Roe v. Wade in 1973.  Avid pro-lifer.  Radical in fact.  But I am not turned off by Giuliani's position for a couple of reasons:

(1) He favors strict constructionist judges.  If he follows through with that, and at the moment I find him convincing on that subject, then those judges are apt to do the right thing regarding that Dred Scott like decision.

(2) The fact that he said he would abide by whatever the court would decide, whether pro or con Roe, he would enforce.  It tells me that it is not high on his agenda, which is good.  Presidents can be bully pulpits for passionate issues, and I don't see him as radical pro-abortion.  He's been acquiescing in the left leaning pro-abort view, but that's it.  He's not an advocate.  Lincoln Chafee was an advocate for abortion.  Giuliani isn't.

I also like Giuliani's realistic position on the war and on terrorism.  He's credible on this subject because he was present, in NY on 9/11 and he lost friends who were innocently cut down by the monstrous Islamo-fascists.  He will be true to us on this issue.

Regarding McCain: I don't think his campaign will last, but I liked his remark about Bin Laden.  He will hunt him to the ends of the earth as long as he lives.  Way to go!  All the Republicans should express such zeal.






<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]